In this section you can check out what I'm currently working in, practically in real time.
If some of this seems cryptic it's because the logs seen here come directly from my personal productivity tool prio, and are really just "notes to self".
Nevertheless, if you are interested in what I'm currently working on, this space will certainly be updated FAR more often than the news section.
20:18:55 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (02:08 hours)
18:29:02 sbtf TASK: lib split
00:05:34 sbtf CLOCK: 00:06 hours
23:04:12 sbtf CLOCK: 00:45 hours
20:25:20 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (02:38 hours)
19:41:59 sbtf TASK: door frame
18:23:07 sbtf TASK: datacore collision
18:03:56 sbtf TASK: beast death activates nearby beast
20:29:00 sbtf CLOCK: 00:44 hours
19:45:49 sbtf LOG
Tried some alternative map generators, Crawlers is looking pretty good.
It's very interesting to note how much the gameplay experience is changed by the map generation; too big and open and it doesn't quite work.
19:44:33 sbtf TASK: try out alternative map generators
17:51:16 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (02:29 hours)
02:39:01 sbtf LOG
Doors pretty much working, animated collision, good sounds, etc.
Refactored out all the specific map generation code to separate generator classes. This will be the basis for trying any number of alternate schemes for level generation.
02:37:58 sbtf TASK: alternative level generators
02:37:44 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (01:44 hours)
00:30:16 sbtf CLOCK: 00:04 hours
00:25:30 sbtf CLOCK: 0.2 days (04:39 hours)
00:25:05 sbtf TASK: fix near and far planes
00:24:01 sbtf TASK: polish door sounds (softer)
22:42:47 sbtf TASK: door sounds
22:42:44 sbtf TASK: smoother door interaction
20:22:00 sbtf TASK: dual collision boxes for doors
19:20:35 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (01:42 hours)
17:13:53 sbtf CLOCK: 00:25 hours
17:12:29 sbtf TASK: refactor sound to own class
16:47:56 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (01:22 hours)
00:17:15 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (01:44 hours)
00:17:07 sbtf TASK: lazor visualisation
00:17:05 sbtf TASK: beast step sounds
00:17:02 sbtf TASK: random door open / closed state
00:16:52 sbtf TASK: disable beast vision through doors
20:06:43 sbtf CLOCK: 0.2 days (05:23 hours)
20:03:15 sbtf LOG
A fair bit of undocumented stuff has been done on this lately. The main things are datacores to replace crew, power levels, and doors which were implemented today.
I think the potential of the game continues to increase. The switch to standard FPS mouselook was absolutely essential for the feel of the game, and the recent developments with crazy mode and the datacores have changed the feel quite a bit.
The doors offer a whole lot of interesting strategic options, especially coupled with power levels, and they also make me feel that it may be possible to introduce Sentry style enemies. Of course actual sentry guns follow...
19:59:12 sbtf TASK: door interaction
19:09:13 sbtf TASK: door controls rendering
18:21:47 sbtf TASK: door collision
17:34:57 sbtf TASK: door rendering
15:21:11 sbtf TASK: data core model, correct shader
15:21:06 sbtf TASK: finish gibs, with idling
15:20:52 sbtf TASK: gibs
00:05:13 sbtf CLOCK: 0.4 days (09:24 hours)
19:01:51 vidiot CLOCK: 0.1 days (01:38 hours)
19:00:09 vidiot TASK: move comp to model
00:59:30 sbtf CLOCK: 00:41 hours
22:57:06 sbtf TASK: data downloads
22:57:03 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (03:08 hours)
19:50:52 sbtf TASK: more stylish light
19:50:50 sbtf TASK: normals in lighting model
19:50:44 sbtf TASK: weapon sounds
19:50:41 sbtf TASK: world to hlsl
19:50:38 sbtf TASK: wall sliding
19:48:58 sbtf TASK: center gui / hud around crosshair
18:37:04 sbtf CLOCK: 0.1 days (02:17 hours)
16:44:14 sbtf TASK: activate beasts on hit
20:35:04 sbtf LOG
This sort of came out of nowhere, but Jonas and I have been working on this together for a few days. I should really start logging time for it.
It is based on what is probably one of my older codebases, what became Z-Fighter and Swörd and all of that in various versions. Straight off inspired by the whole WarHammer 40k Space Hulk thing.
Jonas has done walls according to the 16-cases thing, and we figured out a way to get ambient occlusion into it nicely. Some back and forth on pipeline there, but it's looking good.
I wasn't initially very excited about this, even though I have been putting a lot of time into the audio design and some pretty unique uses of field of view to generate tension. It has been sounding pretty good and having a lot of mood for a while, but I wasn't convinced that the gameplay wouldn't just get stale; lurking around in scary corridors is all good, but there needs to be a significant amount of action.
Today, among other things, I did a quick test to see what would happen if I really saturated the level with enemies, just putting them wherever there was a free space. We're talking about going from 20 enemies in a 32x32 grid space (where a grid is roughly twice the size of your avatar, a section of corridor...) to 500 or more.
This, along with a lot of the lighting effects I did today, including a flashlight effect and a pretty hot muzzle flash thingy when you fire, just turned out to work insanely well. The stress level is maximal, the movie-like stingers that I put in earlier to freak the player out just work to elevate this beyond anything I've ever seen. Epilepsy and heart attack warnings all around...
I'm pretty confident there is something unique in there now, and it's pretty interesting how large a focus shift a relatively small change in the code can generate. I have indeed noticed many times that is is emotionally much "safer" to mess around with technology than to actual try to get some gameplay out if your project.